Tuesday, April 14, 2015

PCT 2015 -> Day 1 & 2 (4/12-4/13) (Mile 1 - 36)

The PCT is a 2,650 mile national scenic trail that starts at the Mexico border and ends at the Canadian border, passing through California, Oregon and Washington state.


I will be hiking the trail northbound (NOBO) and was dropped at the southern terminus by my sister at about 10:30am on Sun 4/12.  There were several cars parked nearby but we were the only people at the border except for a passing border patrol agent.

PCT Southern Terminus 4/12/15

The day started fairly cool but soon warmed quickly and I needed to take several midday breaks in the shade.  There was no water for the first 20 miles so my pack was pretty heavy leaving the border needing to carry 4L.

After the short but hot climb out of Hauser Canyon I made it to Lake Morena CG at mile 20 around darkness.



Lake Morena Campground


I woke up early Day 2 and was on the trail by 7:30am.  The terrain was moderately uphill all day but not too strenuous.  

The beauty of the desert is amazing in the early morning and late evening hours.  Plants are flowering and there are all types of birds and reptiles moving about. I'm camped on a ridge at mile 36 at the moment.  Will be heading into Mt Laguna tomorrow morning to get some food.


Campsite Day 2